Thursday, April 3, 2014

Special Lecture to Medicine Residents by Mike McDermott. Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: Pathophysiology and Treatment Strategies. I rate the speaker (me) 5 on a scale of 10 but I rate the audience 11 on a scale of 10 for attention, interest and questions. Great group.

What? You want this to be evidence based?

Here is what I am going to talk about in this post-lunch lecture. Please stay awake; I will try to be interesting.

I have no conflict of interest. This is not to suggest that my life is not complicated.

The diagnosis of diabetes. Hang in there. It gets better. At least in my opinion.

If I hold up my hand, it implies that I am making an important point.

It appears to me that you are enthralled. But why are you all wearing hearing aids? Are they really hearing aids? Are you guys listening to the soccer game through your i-phones? Give me another chance, please. I can make a Thursday afternoon post-lunch lecture interesting.

Katy Brown seems interested. But is she thinking about climbing Kimimanjaro next week?

Here is the issue. Preventing diabetes is vitally important so that we don't have to treat it later. Alternatively, let's consider: what is the meaning of life? Any comments?

Here's my question now. Would I be more interesting if I chewed some Chat?

Lecture over. Great questions from a resident identified by the faculty as brilliant. It is great to have such insightful questions from a great resident regarding a lecture that, even though I was the speaker, I didn't entirely understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment